1 What is your name and how old are you?
My name is Matias Kiyoshi Santisteban and I am 7 years old.
2. How long have you been studying music and how old were you when you first started?
I have been studying piano since I was 4, so it has been 3 years now. Before that, I learned music since I was a baby with my family, and at a music program for little children when I lived in Pittsburgh since I was like one.
3. What instrument are you currently studying, and who is your teacher?
I am studying piano with Teacher Valerie. I was in Harmony Road with Teacher Christine and Teacher Lea before the private lessons.
4. What pieces are you currently working on?
"Ecossaise" by Johann Nepomuk Hummel, "A short story" by Heinrich Lichner, and I just started composing a new song.
5. How often do you practice?
I practice everyday... except if I am on vacation :).
6. Why do you like studying music?
I like it because it's fun, I can make my own songs (the ones that I have in my head), I like to explore and discover new sounds and scales, I can play the songs I like, not only listen to them.
7. Tell us about your interests or accomplishments outside of music.
I received the Peace Maker award at school. I like to learn and help others. I speak Spanish, English and a bit of Japanese. I like math, science, building my own spaceships with LEGO, houses for my toys with Magnatiles. I like sports... I like playing ping pong with my family, soccer with my friends, and I'm learning how to ski... it's a lot of fun, I also like drawing and painting. The paintings of my class at school were selected this year to be displayed at the Mountain View City Hall Rotunda!
8. What do you want to be when you grow up?
I want to be many things. I want to be a spaceship engineer at NASA, a software engineer, a music composer, an architect, and a teacher.